Middle School Curriculum
University Middle School students demonstrate continual academic growth through emphasis on fostering a student-centered and developmentally appropriate learning environment for pre-adolescents.
Remote Learning During School Closure Due to COVID-19
We now have a Remote Learning page which will have links to each level (elementary, middle school, and high school). Parents/students: Please check this page for remote learning updates from your principal. Otherwise, each teacher/advisor will be in contact regarding specifics for their class. Parents and students should direct questions to the teacher/advisor. You can find email addresses for our teachers/advisors on our School Directory page.
At University Schools Middle School, our philosophy is to create learning environments that:
- Are small and safe
- Promote stable relationships among students, their peers, and teachers
- Are intellectually stimulating
- Utilize active and challenging learning strategies
- Provide skill development for lifelong learning
To achieve this dynamic, all students meet daily with their advisor and a peer group of advisees. Together they create portfolios, learn self-advocacy, set goals, establish positive peer relationships, and create opportunities to gain support for academic and personal growth. Throughout the year, advisors conduct student-led parent conferences.
All middle school students participate in the required core courses including:
- Language Arts (Reading and Communications)
- Social Studies
- Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM)
We offer a broad range of elective courses selected to expose students to and help them develop new areas of interest leading to careers or other opportunities. Students may choose from courses such as:
- 7 Habits
- American Sign Language (ASL)
- Colorado Outdoors
- Leadership (8th Grade)
- Lifetime Fitness
- Middle School Success
- Personal Finance
- Speech & Storytelling
- Theatre Arts
Middle School Lunch Schedule
- 6th grade - 10:50–11:25 a.m.
- 7th grade - 11:40–12:15 p.m.
- 8th grade - 12:25–1:00 p.m.
Tuesday through Friday
- 6th grade - 11:30–12:00 p.m.
- 7th grade - 12:20–12:50 p.m.
- 8th grade - 12:30–1:00 p.m.
Parents/guardians may sign students out for lunch; however, we ask that you strictly adhere to the designated lunch periods.